Monday, May 19, 2014

When an Ultra feels like a sprint..

 So this weekend I ran the 24 hour race at NJ Trail Series 3 Days at The Fair it’s held at the Sussex County Fairgrounds ( hence The Fair) in Augusta NJ. The course is a 1 mile loop, mostly paved , mostly flat within the fairgrounds. Along with this race there is a 72 and 48 hour race going. Also there were marathons,50ks, 6 hour, and 12 hour race going on as well. This race as something for everyone, The RD Jennifer McNulty  and Head Volunteer Rick McNulty do a great job of making everyone feel special ..The whole  McNulty Family pitches in. There is one aide station at start/finish line  a full Working professional kitchen ( grilled cheese sandwiches at 3 AM..Awesome ) manned by some of the best volunteers anywhere, most of  whom are Ultra runners themselves or soon to be.It’s a place where people get bit by the Ultra bug,Just a great vibe.

  So I started out my weekend working the aide station on Thursday night. .I made more grilled cheese Sandwiches then I ever thought Possible. The 72 hour race was going on and I got to see a lot of friends who were running it.   It was a happy group,even though it had been raining off and on for part the day ( oh those Happy Canadiens)  I came out the next morning ( thanks to My wonderful partner Jackie “ get out” Kaufman) to cheer and pace a friend in her Second marathon of the weekend. The forecast was for rain and darn if they didn’t get it right,,it poured,all day into the night, The 48 hour race had started and there a lot more people out there. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with the people running for multiple days,,and in conditions that on friday that were absolutely horrendous. I don’t think that’s in my cards for the future ..but one never knows.

 So I went into this  race,having finished up the Umstead 100 mile just 6 weeks ago. with not as many trying miles in the bank. My coach Shannon McGinn Dos Santos ( http://shannon-creatingmomentum.blogspot.com/ ) told me that I needed to recover from one race and  not put too many miles in afterwards lest risking injury by doing too much. My last 100 was on the back of some serious mileage ( 100+ mile weeks ) so I have to say I was a little worried..but I trust Shannon. She has gotten me to distances and speeds that I never thought I was capable off. So if she said I was fine..I was willing to to believe that it was going to work out.

 I signed up for this race with the goal of running 100 miles in under 24 hours. Since I had done that 6 weeks ago at Umstead 22:47.. I had to set a new goal..110 in 24 hours this seemed doable. I had plan,  ( it was more so was given by Coach Shannon)   To  split it up in  6 hour splits,  hit between 34- 36 first 6 hours, 65 at the 12 hour mark , around 92 miles at 18  and  give what I have at the last 6. it  was a bit of an aggressive plan but it allowed for a big drop off at the end . I have had knee issues with my last two 100’s so this was a good plan. I always seem to work well from a plan ..plug and chug and just get it done.
 
  So Saturday morning arrives. a beautiful day. The rain from the last couple of days is gone Temps in the upper 40’s/ low 50’s, Sunshine. Perfect start weather. I arrive at the fairgrounds ( I’m only about 10 minutes away at jackie’s place..) It's a 9;00 am, start so I have time to kill. I set up my stuff along the back end of the course. Another great thing about this course is it’s like tent city, a real party atmosphere..people set up all over the course, though most were on the front half . I had time to chat with a couple friends from up north Mike and Eric from DFL  Ultrarunning podcast. http://dflultrarunning.com/. Nice guys ..positive attitudes about running and not to serious. Chatted to a few friends were running the 48 or 72 hours races, who looked like well, the had run for 24 or 48 hours in the rain..but the seemed to have a renewed optimism. It’s a great day..No MORE RAIN.

 So start time comes around. Couple minutes to Start,,Rick gives instructions .. 9;00am  ( Rick is always on time..to the second)  the race is off . I start running  My plan is run at a reasonable pace for 3.5 loops and walk the slight ( very slight ) uphill on the end 4 loop  and do this for 6 hours. So off I go. I’m running and chatting and chatting and  running and look at my watch by the time I get to the 3.5. I’m that I get chance to walk to slow it down 8:00 PACE MINUTES..WAY TOO FAST.  So I try to settle into a pace..but I know I need to  be pretty fast while running to hit the marks .But they're not coming. My plan is to go the first 50 miles on liquids and gels ( water, Gatorade, ensure and gu’s ) this has worked well in the past..but it’s not working. My stomach is flipping, The weather is getting warmer and I’m feeling it. The upper 60”s may not seem that warm but most of my ultras have had highs in 50’s  and there is little shade on the course. There is a little breeze,which helped a lot. After about 3 hours of running what felt too fast,I decided to switch from a 3.5 to 2.5 and walk strategy   Ultras are about  changing with conditions,, not always stinking to plan.

 So I’m running along and still following of the plan, but the heat is getting to me..My stomach is flipping and I don’t know what to do..I hit the 6 hour mark and I’m at like 32 ..33 miles. I’m off pace. So I think push to get the 65 at 12 and then the built in lag will help..So push..damn push it.. I not taking nourishment well,,liquids only but stomach still quizzy. around mile 45, I start feel dizzy and lightheaded. and I do the opposite of what I've been doing in Ultras..I sit IN THE CHAIR.  I’ve always believed that the chair is not your friend. but as my coach said If you're going really slow  at an early point address the problem and get back out there at pace,,So I sit. I put my feet up  and put my chair in the shade ( thanks Anne and Otto for the advice) and sit for like 10 minutes This was my moment. It’s happened every hundred, There are peaks and valleys and a moment of decision..to go on or chuck it there may come a day when I decide to chuck it ( I did quit at a 12 hour race on this course last November, a story that  would make this blog longer than it is already..lol) but today was not that day. So I get up and start walking. When all else fails,just keep walking. so I get some S-caps and some ginger ale at the aide station, a pbj  at little ahead of schedule but hey..be amiable to change.


So I’m now focused on the marks. The first real mark is 50 at about 9 hours..Missed by about 50 minutes..Damn. I’m slower than at my last Ultra. there I hit 50 at 9;30 . So I think push on to the 65 mile/ 12 hour goal.So I try to move steadily along the loops,  adding some more little walk on some of the  (Slight) uphill sections . Hit 12 hours around 61 miles still behind but I’m moving and the Sun is going . I’m feeling better..Okay I’m not getting faster but I’m solidly doing loops. My stomach is not feeling great but  it’s not going to kill me, I’m starting to take in Caffeine ( I’ve been on caffeine taper for a week..) at around mile 65 and continue moving. Just keep pushing forward. So, I’m doing loops thinking “What is my next goal ..92 at 18 hours .. Just keep pushing”. The plan was I would have big drop off..but didn’t happen. But what also didn’t happen was a knee issues.I started wear compression and a light brace on my knee  as a preventive and it worked ..I had no knee pain ,so I could  keep walking and running. Not simply limping along for miles at time.. I’m looking at the time and with about 6 hours to go, I’m at about 84 miles. I’m moving not quickly,  but still moving. I can do this 6 hour marathon..no problem ( famous last words). Just keep pushing……

 So this is about the time My Garmin dies. It’s not a big deal.I’m wearing a watch with a countdown timer. Not really concerned. There is something I am concerned about, I’m sleepwalking..I’m getting really sleepy..out on my feet. The fact that the race started at 9:00am means that I’ve 5 hours to go at 4:00 am and I have lots of loops to go. I’m now slowing down a lot. My coach and I discussed this, being that it’s a loop course and If my loops got slower than a certain point, then I need to take a break and revitalize ( calories ,sleep..) to get back out there stronger. I thought the sleep monster wouldn’t be a problem..If I was on point to point or a larger loop course then I would press through, but the fact it was short loops means  I could take a 15 minutes and power nap  with my phone and I could recover ..the temps were getting chilly ( mid 40’s) So i jumped in my car (Another great thing about this course. .just off course parking ) turned it on. Plugged phone in Charger , Set alarm.. 15 minutes later,it went off. I got out of the car and started Running ..Rejuvenated.

 Now I’m just doing what I can,,Telling myself it’s my brain, not my body that wants to quit ( Central Governor theory.) I can push through that. I kept pushing. Loops tick by. 90 miles with 3:45 hours to go. 20 miles, no Problem (hahaah..it all seems so possible then.) But I’m just doing my best to get through. I’m still running some walking a little more..not limping. Time is moving faster, but I’m not. 97, 98, 99, 100  at 21:42 and I felt like I pushed through most it. Somewhere,  just after that ,my brain kinda shut off  to the idea of 110 and I just thought get over 100. Many people quit after they hit those marks and I came here for than a 100. So I just started walking. With about 1:30 left go I finally became part of the party of the race..up to that point I was kind  running with blinders on.. Eyes on the prize. Then I just walking, chatting.Friends came by wishing me congratulations.and we walked. I dragged other guys who said they were done out for one last loop.Told other people start walking, you’ll never know what you'll get and they got more than they expected..it was a fitting end to great race. At the end runners stood at the finish line cheering on the last runners to cross at  the official end time. Didn't make all my goals, but I really felt that this was about a solid a 100+ miler as I've had yet..I had to push harder then I had to..but I finished feeling stronger than I ever have.

106 miles in 24 hours
Men's 5th place

No comments:

Post a Comment